A Year in Germany



It's hard to believe we have lived in Germany for a year now. Even though I've moved a handful of other times in the last decade, this move hit harder than the others. I know they say it takes a year to settle into a place before it feels like home, but it seems my heart is still waiting for that moment to happen here. It could've been the language barrier, the fact that a pandemic happened during this tour, or that I was very attached to the people in North Carolina (the last place we lived). Whatever the reason, all I know is I'm ready to head back to the states (OK, maybe after they get their sh*t together). Things I miss the most about the US include: my friends, my family, my pup, Chick-fil-A, and Target, (and a few other local to NC places). I also miss flavored coffee, AC (did you know that's not a thing here??), sweet tea, ice, and good burgers. 

A few things I do love about Germany (and Europe in general) are the neighborhood farmers markets, the care provided for their animals (don't get me started on chicken farms here versus the states), the huge windows and blackout blinds, the bike/walking trails, and the gardens. And of course the number one thing: TRAVEL. So I decided to share some highlights from our trips in Europe and the UK over the last year.


Bisingen, Germany - Hohenzollern Castle
Hohenzollern Castle grounds

Triberg, Germany (The Black Forest)
Triberg city center

Triberg Waterfall


Paris, France
Arc de Triumph

View of Paris from the Ferris wheel

Moulin Rouge

Disneyland Paris

Twinning with Pluto at Disneyland Paris


Insel Mainau - Island in Lake Constance
Italian floral water cascade

I love the blue flowers with the pink tower


Rose garden


Ludwigsberg, Germany - Pumpkin festival

You can sign up to race in a pumpkin! I obviously had to do this. 

One of the many pumpkin exhibits


Tübingen, Germany
Tübingen views


Canals in Tübingen

Kloster und Schloß Bebenhausen



Mayrhofen, Austria
View from the Penkenbahn

Almatrieb (cows come home), one of my favorite festivals


Calais, France
Sunsets at Calais

Beach babies


Dover, England
The White Cliffs of Dover


Canterbury, England
Canterbury Cathedral

Inside Canterbury Cathedral



Lichtenstein, Germany - Schloß Lichtenstein
Fall views at Lichtenstein Castle


London, England
View from the Sky Garden

Tower of London, where Anne Boleyn was beheaded

Saint Aymes (one of the most picturesque cafes in London)

Meet & Greet (and concert) with Ingrid Michaelson

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
Evening views of Rothenburg o.b. Tauber


One of my favorite towns in Germany



Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Love these mountains!

Ski lessons! We all loved it. 

Sunsets from Edelweiss Resort

I had to get a picture of this church with the mountain backdrop


Schwangau, Germany
View of Hohenschwangau Castle from Neuschwanstein Castle


Neuschwanstein Castle

Alpsee Lake

Weiskirche


Esslingen, Germany
Medieval Christmas Market in Esslingen

Strasbourg, France
Saint Paul Church & Christmas Market
Streets of Strasbourg


Tromso, Norway
View of Tromso from Fjellheisen

Northern Lights

Dog sledding in Tromso


Nuremberg, Germany
Nürnberg

Sky top views



Verona, Italy
Juliet's Balcony in Verona

Pizza with a view in Verona


Venice, Italy
                                                                                 
Bridge of Sighs

We had to ride a Gondola!

Carnival in Venice


Lucerne, Switzerland 

Chapel Bridge

The Lion Monument



Holzgerlingen, Germany
Rapeseed fields

I loved the nature break amongst the chaos of COVID


Blaubeuren, Germany - Blautopf
Blautopf beauty

The blue water was unreal


Cochem, Germany
Cochem Castle is viewable from just about everywhere!

Bridge crossing the Moselle

Boat tour views


Wierschem, Germany - Burg Eltz
We didn't go inside, but the outside view was breathtaking!



Brugge, Belgium
The city center... so many pretty things to see

Canal boat tour views


Brugelette, Belgium - Pairi Daiza
Up close & personal with the lemurs

Love exploring with our best friends


Voorst, Netherlands - Koe Knuffelen 

Cuddling some dairy cows

Naughty babies

Cow kisses


Ribeauville, France
Every inch of this place is like a fairy tale



Kayersberg, France
Obsessed with Kayersberg

Cobbled streets and half-timbered houses



Riquewihr, France

Old Town Riquewihr

Inspiration for Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"







I hope you enjoyed this "year in review" of our travels! Only a few more months to go and I plan on trying to cram as many adventures into it as I can. It's really the only way to live if you live anywhere in Europe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Crazy Coop

Breed Spotlight: Silver-Laced Wyandotte

Unique Experiences - Europe & UK Edition